I’m so happy to report that Stargayzing has doubled its readership in the last twelve months, thanks to loyal readers like you. Indeed, to use a prominent metaphor from Jerzy Kosinki’s Being There, keeping Stargayzing thriving oftentimes feels like maintaining a garden. Sometimes, though, it feels more like I’m feeding an animal that is endlessly hungy. While I consider the blog my most passionate project, it’s a huge amount of work. It is in the spirit of both of these feelings that every six months I need to ignore the first rule of blogging—don’t stop—and take a short break to renew my energy and live a little.
If you think of me as your pop culture analyst, it won’t seem that odd that I’m taking August off; the only difference being that there is nobody covering for me, so you’re on your own, kids. I do want to reassure you that I will be back right after Labor Day with more of the quality pieces that you have come to expect. While I’m gone, I encourage you check out some of the great older posts you may have missed, which I’ve taken the liberty of aggregating below. You can still follow me on twitter during my hiatus, because unplugging completely would make this analyst—well—nervous.
Until September, let’s remember what Oscar Wilde said: “we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars,” so, look up!
P.S. If you haven’t already, take a moment to subscribe to the Stargayzing monthly newsletter to the right, just below the Girls Who Like Boys icon. It’s the best way to keep up with blog or catch up on anything you may have missed.
1. Torch Song Elegy, Volume 5: (N)e(u)rotica: The Unbelievably Bitchy Thing Madonna Said to k.d. lang
2. Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck, & Shirley Eder: Hollywood’s Original Two-Faced Women, by Corinna Tomrley
3. Profoundly Awful Yet Hyponotic 1980s Lesbian Music Video
4. Karen Black: “My Top 10 Favorite Moments in All of The Sci-Fi/Science-Fantasy/Horror Films I Have Seen”
5. Honoring Kate Bush on her 55th Birthday
6. What Not To Wear When Going To Prison: or, How One Bad Decision and Three Loose Pills Sent Me To The Slammer For Three Days with Eyeliner and Crimped Hair, Part One
7. Hermione Gingold Singing “I’d Be Surprisingly Good For You” from Evita, Plus: Eating With the Stars Features Her Recipe for Steak and Kidney Pudding, Which Would be Surprisingly Not Good For You
8. An Unexpected, Highly Informative, and Exhaustingly Comprehensive Letter From a Reader About Michael Jackson’s Nose
9. Guest Blogger John Richkus’ List of 11 Performances that Should Have Won Oscars
10. Stairway to Stardom Redux: “Hairdresser”— A Tribute to Lucille Cataldo